The Latrobe Valley Visitor Information
Welcome to The Latrobe Valley!
If you're looking for a unique travel experience, the Latrobe Valley in Victoria, Australia is a must-visit destination. This beautiful region boasts stunning natural scenery, rich cultural heritage, and a range of exciting attractions and activities.
Getting There and Getting Around
The Latrobe Valley is located in eastern Victoria, approximately 150 km east of Melbourne. You can get here by car, bus, or train. Once you're here, you can explore the area by car, bicycle, or foot. There are also public transport options, including buses and trains.
Things to Do
- Visit Tarra-Bulga National Park: This stunning national park is home to beautiful rainforest gullies and ancient mountain ash trees. You can explore the park by walking along one of the many hiking trails.
- Learn About Coal Mining at the State Coal Mine: The State Coal Mine in Wonthaggi offers a fascinating glimpse into the history of coal mining in the region. You can take a guided tour of the mine and see the machinery used to extract coal.
- Go Fishing: The Latrobe River and its tributaries offer great fishing opportunities for trout and other species.
- Explore the Towns and Villages: The Latrobe Valley is home to several charming towns and villages, including Morwell, Moe, and Traralgon. You can stroll through the streets and check out the local shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- Experience the Local Arts and Culture: The Latrobe Valley is home to a thriving arts scene, with several galleries, theaters, and museums showcasing the work of local artists and performers.
Where to Stay
The Latrobe Valley offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and holiday parks. Some popular options include:
- The Century Inn: This award-winning hotel in Traralgon offers comfortable rooms and suites, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Moe Motor Inn: This modern motel in Moe offers affordable accommodation, free Wi-Fi, and a restaurant.
- Tambo Valley Campground: This peaceful holiday park in Yinnar offers powered and unpowered sites, as well as cabins and amenities like a swimming pool and barbecue facilities.
When to Visit
The Latrobe Valley is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit depends on your interests. The summer months (December to February) are great for outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, and camping. The autumn months (March to May) offer cool temperatures and beautiful fall foliage. The winter months (June to August) are ideal for skiing at nearby Mount Baw Baw. And the spring months (September to November) offer mild temperatures and colorful wildflowers.
Whatever time of year you visit, you're sure to be captivated by the natural beauty and rich culture of the Latrobe Valley. Start planning your trip today!